Geomagic :: Geomagic Freeform and a Life-Saving Craniofacial Implant

Beyond The Box

Beyond the Box

The news and stories from Geomagic that you don't find anywhere else.

Sandham's Flying Circus

The crazy world of customizing Geomagic products

The World is 3D

Seeing the world in 3D from Ping Fu

March 21, 2013

Geomagic Freeform and a Life-Saving Craniofacial Implant

To appear in a publication like Make Parts Fast you better be able to, well, make parts fast, especially when it comes to a vital medical implant. Geomagic® Freeform® software and the AccuShape™ process by MedCAD®, enabled medical designers to do just that.

Jiahone Guo had taken a knee to the head during a club soccer match. The resultant injury left him in a life-threatening condition: the swelling in his brain was squeezing his brain stem. As a result, doctors had no choice but to remove a section of Guo’s brain to relieve the pressure. 

“At the time of the injury, I told the family it was a 50/50 chance of survival,” said Dr. Rob Dickerman, director of neurosurgery at Presbyterian Hospital of Plano, in an interview with WFAA-TV in Dallas/Fort Worth. 

Click here to find out how MedCAD used Geomagic Freeform to design a precise, customized prosthetic skull plate from CT data and how this prosthesis has allowed Guo to resume a normal life. “I can do anything,” he told WFAA-TV, “I can drive, I can walk, I can think.”

GuoSkull-opening-small.jpg        Implant-solo-small-300x199.jpg